Planning & Development
Through provisions in various acts and regulations, e.g. the Municipal Government Act, the Subdivision and Development Regulation, the Water Act, the Land Titles Act, the Highways Development and Protection Act, the Safety Codes Act, and the Private Sewage Disposal Systems Regulation, the provincial government places certain obligations relative to long range planning, land use, subdivision, development, and building activities on the County and/or private landowners.
The County's Planning and Development Services provides an advisory service to landowners, ratepayers, developers, contractors, County Administration, Council, and the Municipal Planning Commission in order to support the County's mandatory functions under these provisions, relative to the following:
- Maintaining a Land Use Bylaw and a Municipal Development Plan
- Subdivision of land
- Development permitting
- Providing for the orderly long range planning of future development
- Inter-municipal Development Planning
The Planning & Development department's service is based on three core values:
- Professionalism - to provide objective and accurate information, to care about what we do, to be organized in how we do it, and to be accountable for our actions.
- Productivity - to process applications and carry out projects efficiently and timely.
- Respect - to deal with all our fellow citizens and work colleagues in a respectful and confidential manner.
If you are subdividing land, putting up a building, or changing the use of your property we are available to provide advice relative to the provincial and municipal regulations that may apply and the process of obtaining the approvals that may be required.
While helping you we also take seriously our responsibility to other ratepayers in the County who may be impacted by your planned actions, and we will endeavor to remain objective in our recommendations to County Administration, Council, the Subdivision Authority, the Development Authority, and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.
Please call us when you are planning your subdivision or development projects, or when you have inquiries about subdivision and development projects planned or occurring in your local area. Call (403) 742-4441.