Appealing a County Tax Assessment

The Appeal Process

If you’re unsure of the assessment of your property, contact the County of Stettler and talk to the assessor. If the discrepancy cannot be resolved, the following process should be taken.

File a complaint with the Assessment Review Board clerk within 60 days of receiving the assessment. The complaint form will need to be accompanied with the appropriate fee.

  • Residential of Farmland Property             $50 per parcel
  • Commercial or Industrial Property            $100 per parcel

Mail the Completed Application to:

Assessment Review Board Clerk

PO Box 1270

Stettler, AB, T0C 2L0


To access forms for the appeal process, click HERE.

For more information on the appeal process, click HERE.


After Filing the Complaint

The process after filing the formal complaint has a few milestones:

  1. Exchanging information between the Complainant (Ratepayer) and the Respondent (Assessor)
  2. Notice of Assessment Review Board Hearing
  3. The Assessment Review Board Hearing
  4. Notice of Assessment Review Board Decision
  5. Assessment Review Board Complaints and Appeals
  6. If you believe the Assessment Review Board has made an error in its decision, you may file an appeal with the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta. In order for the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta to hear an appeal of an assessment review board decision, the applicant must first file an application for "Leave of Appeal" with the Court. You have 30 days from the date you receive the decision from the Assessment Review Board to file an application for appeal.

You cannot appeal the decision of an Assessment Review Board simply because you do not agree with the decision. 


An appeal can only be made if you believe that the board made an error on a question of the law or of jurisdiction. A question of law is defined as question to be decided ultimately by a judge, concerning the application or interpretation of the law. Similarly, a question of jurisdiction is the general power or authority to decide an issue.

Your application will need to clearly demonstrate that an error or a question of law or jurisdiction has been made by the board. The application must be accompanied with a copy of the written decision of the board and any supporting evidence that relates to the error of a question of law or jurisdiction.