Assessment Appeal Procedure
Talk to the assessor. If the discrepancy cannot be resolved, the following actions should be taken:
  • File a complaint with the Assessment Review Board clerk within 60 days. Complaint must be accompanied by the appropriate fee.
    • Residential / farmland property is $50 per parcel.
    • Commercial / industrial property is $100 per parcel.

  • Send Formal Complaints to:
    Assessment Review Board Clerk
    P.O. Box 1270
    Stettler, AB T0C 2L0
(If the "File a complaint" link does not work, please right click and choose "Save Target As..." or similarly worded option depending on your web browser.)

After Filing Your Complaint
After you file your complaint, these milestones will pass:

  • Exchange of information between Complainant (Ratepayer) and the Respondent (Assessor) 
  • Notice of Assessment Review Board Hearing
  • Assessment Review Board Hearing
  • Notice of Assessment Review Board Decision
Assessment Review Board Complaints and Appeal
If you belive the Assessment Review Board has made an error in its decision, you may file an appeal with the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta.. In order for the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta to hear an appeal of an assessment review board decision, the appellant must first file an application for "Leave of Appeal" with the Court. You have 30 days from the date you receive the decision from the Assessment Review Board to file your application for appeal.

You cannot appeal the decision of an Assessment Review Board simply because you do not agree with the decision. An appeal can only be made if you believe that the board made an error on a question of the law or jurisdiction.

A question of law is defined as  question to be decided ultimately by a judge, concerning the application or interpretation of the law. Jurisdiction is the general power or authority to decide an issue.

Your application will need to clearly demonstrate that an error or a question of law or jurisdiction has been made by the board. The application must be accompanied with a copy of the written decision of the board and any supporting evidence that relates to the error of a question of law or jurisdiction.